Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

"I"

Yesterday, on the way to church, we were talking about how often we (and people in general) start their sentences with the word "I"... Once we had pointed it out, we started noticing even more and it was quite comical. So we tried going the whole ride without using the word "I" (unless that actually is the subject, then you can throw it in there periodically ;))

I urge you to try it! (see - there I go) It is quite entertaining and eye-opening at the same time.

On top of that, we tried cutting out our "comfort words" - the words everyone has that they throw in all throughout their conversation just because they are "comfortable". One of Nathaniel's is "actually" and "but anyway" is one of mine. When you start analyzing what you're saying and trying to be aware of certain words - you start to realize just how much you use your comfort words and also, how much you talk about yourself. Because that, too, is a comfort zone. We are both making a conscious effort to cut those words out! (Going to take a LOOOONG time)
By eliminating these 2 things, it makes for a much more interesting conversation, and also causes you to dig a little deeper in your vocabulary and find other ways of wording things - making it about the subject and not yourself!  
You'll most likely end up asking more questions -which is good for conversation- and talking about the other person more - which makes people feel good:)

So here is a challenge for you - next time you are talking to someone, do 2 things - count how many times they start a sentence with the word "I", and count how many times you do the same. My guess is it will be more than you realize (actually caught myself there - was going to say "I would venture to say...." but that would have started with an "I")

It is harder than you might think! We wish you luck!

Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Romans 12:10

5 comments:

  1. Haha! This post made me smile a bit(:
    I get in trouble for saying "like" a little to much. Oh, and "umm".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting & true!!! It's something worth noticing in my own conversation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love this. I know I will have trouble with this challenge. I have always known you to have a very versed vocabulary Charity. I can't see how yours needs any work ;) Hehe Okay, that was all on purpose! Hehe This is a great reminder...Guess who will be talking a whole lot less??? Me ;) hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no no no don't talk less!!!! And it is always ok when someone is asking about YOU... i happen to LIKE hearing about you and what is goign on with you... :) love you!

      Delete
  4. The study of linguistics and personality development is soooo interesting. One of mine was, I wonder how often we tell people what to do? (ie. think our idea is better or the best) Just in passing, how many sentences include a directive. Or the converse overuse of the word `we`and passive terminology like, it has been mentioned to me that...woe...it, who? has been, when? mentioned, how? that, what?! ouff! So then I overcompensate by being overly direct. How about three uses of the word over (now four) and two uses (now three) of the word use (now four). :) Anyway, it`s good to be aware of what we are saying, even if we don`t know what to do about it.

    Well written, Charity.

    ReplyDelete